Sunday, June 25, 2006

"If it wasn't for the music I don't know what we'd do"

Music has always been a part of my life. At a young age I would play my Dad's old 45s. Later when I began to write and started to feel the passion of words, I was able to gain a stronger connection to the music I heard. I'm always amazed and gratified when I hear a song in someone else's words that so perfectly expresses my own feelings. There's a song by Cevin Fisher called "Music Saved My Life." I feel like that sometimes, like when I'm feeling totally hopeless. I'll put on one of my favorite albums and find comfort in the words, even if they too are hopeless. So from time to time when I start to hear enough songs that strike the right chord at the right time, I'll make myself a mix. Some people understand the art behind it, some people don't. I just like to put songs together that make me feel a certain way at a certain time or capture a specific moment or feeling. I was inspired to do this with the recent reintroduction of lost love into my life. I created a mix I call "High Fidelity." It includes the following songs:

1. The One That Got Away (remix) - Natasha Bedingfield
"I need a hook so you won't be the one that got away/I need a look that stuns you makes you want to stay/Don't want to speak in case it comes out wrong/Don't want to blink cause in that second you could be gone/I need a twist to help me turn, turn this story around/I need a bridge to cross this dangerous ground/Meet me in the middle like I want you to/I gotta find your heart to shoot my arrow through"

2. What Are You Afraid Of? - West Indian Girl
"There's no chance of losing/When there's no chance at all/As time goes by, I forget why/From a distant view it might still be true/There's a part of me that lives for you"

3. Maybe Tomorrow - Stereophonics
"Been the upper side of down/Been the inside of out"

4. Son's Gonna Rise - Citizen Cope
"Man she saves me/To this day I don't know why/She picked me up/When i was down on the road/With the wind when it blowed"

5. Aftertaste - Ben Lee
"And I really didn’t need this/Don’t wanna be this/Don’t wanna see this/I’m fallin’ in,/I’m going there again/And it’s not my fault/Are you sick of pretending?/That all this trouble is really ending/The way things break/Every step you take/Is not my fault/Your love’s like salt/The aftertaste is gonna break my heart/Feels like it's over before it starts"

6. Come Around - Rhett Miller
"No one else can fix me/Although sometimes my heart tricks me/Into thinkin someone else will do/You are the only one, you are the only one//Am I gonna be lonely for the rest of my life/Am I gonna be lonely for the rest of my life/I'm gonna be lonely for the rest of my life/Unless you come around, So come around/So come around"

7. You're Beautiful - James Blunt
"You're beautiful, you're beautiful/You're beautiful, it's true/I saw your face in a crowded place,/And I don't know what to do,/'Cause I'll never be with you"

8. When You Love Somebody - Fruit Bats
"When U love somebody it's hard to think about anything but to breathe"

9. Gone For Good - The Shins
"You want to fight for this love/But honey you cannot wrestle a dove/So baby it's clear//You want to jump and dance/But you sat on your hands/And lost your only chance//Go back to your hometown/Get your feet on the ground/And stop floating around//I find a fatal flaw/In the logic of love/And go out of my head"

10. Strength To Say Goodbye - The Mavericks
"No matter how many years I've cried/No matter how many tears I cried/Who's to say who was wrong or to say who was right/But we'll never find the strength to say goodbye"

11. Hung Up On You - Fountains Of Wayne
"And now and then I wonder/Why this painful memory/Can never find its way to you from me//And I can't dial the phone just now/Even though I know your number/Can't bring my broken heart to be untrue/Like you did today/You'll say goodbye the same old way/Ever since you hung up on me/I'm hung up on you"

12. Clap! Shake! Jump! - Behavior with Andrea Revel
"The sky is blue/The grass is green/And your heart is true"

13. Someday - Shivaree
"Someday/You want me like I want you/But I'd be gone/With somebody new"

14. Hope For Me Yet - Marc Broussard
"I could write a million verses/Every word you've heard before/Steal some of Dylan's best/But it'd leave me wanting to say more/Cause there's so much more//Baby if you could love somone like me/There's no end to the possibility/Hopes and dreams push away the pain and regret/But loving you just lets me know/There might be hope for me yet"

15. Home - Michael Buble
"And I feel just like I’m living someone else’s life/It’s like I just stepped outside/When everything was going right/And I know just why you could not/Come along with me/That this is not your dream/But you always believed in me"

16. Talk To Me - Ringside
"I've got a feeling/You've been so confused/There's something that you've been fighting/Deep inside you/I know you got some damage/I know what you've been through/But there's nothing I can't manage/I'm gonna take care of you"

17. Live With Me - Massive Attack
"See it almost makes me crazy child/Nothing's right if you ain't here/I'd give all that I have just to, keep you near/I wrote you a letter and tried to make it clear/That you just don't believe that, I'm sincere//I've been thinking about you baby//Plans and schemes, hopes and fears/Dreams i've denied for all these years"

18. One Thing - Finger Eleven
"If I traded it all/If I gave it all away for one thing/Just for one thing/If I sorted it out/If I knew all about this one thing/Wouldn’t that be something//I promise I might/Not walk on by/Maybe next time/But not this time//Even though I know/I don’t want to know/Yeah I guess I know/I just hate how it sounds"

19. Mushaboom (Postal Service Remix) - Feist
"It may be years until the day/My dreams will match up with my pay"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home