Monday, June 26, 2006

A Remembering

So I wanted to share some of my older writing first and then move into the present. It's remarkable how I'm still saying pretty much the same things after all this time. I guess that just goes to show love never dies.
This particular piece however was basically a writing exercise that I did in one of my poetry apprenticeships in high school. We had to choose or ask someone for a number, a color, a date and an animal or something like that and then fit all those items into a poem. I don't know why, but I've always been quite fond of this piece. I've tried this exercise many times since, but this first attempt has always been my favorite.


A REMEMBERING

My mind is a computer terminal
salivating information
from a central location
where experiments are done
using elements and chemicals
with Avogadro’s number
and baby squirrels as bait.
So what’s the use of waiting
on the corner at the bust stop
in your new knickers
if there is no green?
It’s like Novemnber 24,
surrounded buy naked trees
watching vehicles go by
on the busy street
and leaves falling
like baby squirrels.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home