Sunday, July 02, 2006

Cash by Johnny Cash

I recently finished reading Cash by Johnny Cash. I enjoyed reading his story in his own words. I'd recommend this story to anyone looking for hope. Or even just a good story. In part 3, Cash talks about a time when he went to Nickajack Cave on the Tennessee River near Chattanooga. He was going to crawl into the cave and wait for death because he felt as if he had wasted his life and he was exhausted. But in that cave he started thinking about things, what he had done, why he was there. He considered God and his destiny and realized that his own death was not his decision to make. He questioned, "How could I escape the death I'd willed?" Something gave him the strength. He felt his way through the darkness until he felt the wind and knew that was his way out. He writes, "When I walked out, June was there with a basket of food and drink, and my mother." I'm in awe of how he survived all he did, but in reading his story the answer seems clear: June. She was his soul mate and made a promise to him early on that she would do whatever she could to help him get clean and stay there. Knowing that she did in spite of what he was going through is beyond anything I could ever imagine one human being doing for another. And yet I find myself wanting just that.


1 Comments:

At 7/07/2006 12:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey. seriously sad lady. don't be beatin' yerself up too bad, k? june cash was a supportive person. she also broke up a marriage and was a serious enabler. everything is always a mixed bag in real life.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home